The Braintree Public School (BPS) system services over 5,800 students from pre-Kindergarten to 12th grade in one preschool center based at Braintree High School, a Kindergarten center, six neighborhood elementary schools (all serving grades 1-5 with five housing one section of full day Kindergarten), two grade 6-8 middle schools and one grade 9-12 high school. Beyond the academic day and year, students are able to access multiple opportunities in academic and social clubs and activities, visual and performing arts, athletics, and extended year support services and programs.
The BPS has an exceptional history of student performance: by almost any measure, Braintree students achieve at very high levels. With a complete and total focus on providing high quality instruction that is personalized for every child, Braintree students are the direct beneficiaries of a school-community dedicated to providing outstanding teachers, extremely favorable class sizes (14:1), and academic support services that are second to none. All of our schools are designated Level I status by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), with the exception of Braintree High School (BHS), which is identified as a Level II school. BHS was recently named by Newsweek Magazine as one of the top 500 high schools in the country, reaching number 15 out of over 200 high schools in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The BPS is currently engaged in reimagining and reconstructing its five year strategic plan. In an effort to achieve even greater focus and become more effective in addressing the needs of our students and our changing school-community, we have identified four (4) strategic goal areas: (1) Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment; (2) Culture of Learning and Innovation; (3) Family and Community Engagement, and (4) Wellness. Through these goals we endeavor to prepare our students for a complex and changing world, think critically and creatively, analyze and evaluate information, solve complex problems, and collaborate and communicate effectively. Beyond those skill sets, we believe our children need to develop the necessary habits of body and mind to stay physically, socially and emotionally well throughout their lives.
We are happy to welcome all permanent residents of the Town of Braintree to the Braintree Schools.
Except for kindergarten, or those students in need of specialized services, all students are assigned to a school based on grade level and street address. If you are new to town and want to see which school your child will be assigned to please click here.*
*Elementary Flexible Boundary Policy
Current students should register directly with their home school.
Registration for next school year is scheduled for January 2018. Please check back in December for more information.
Elementary Students, Grades 1-5
All new incoming elementary school students register directly at their assigned elementary school beginning two weeks before the start of the school year.
Middle School Students, Grades 6-8
All new incoming middle school students register directly at their assigned middle school the entire year. Should you not know which middle school your address is assigned to, please contact the administration offices at 781-380-0130 x8476.
High School Students, Grades 9-12
All new incoming high school students register directly at Braintree High School in the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office number is 781-848-4000 x7014. The following is the schedule for the high school registrar:
- During the School Year -Registrar’s Office is open Monday–Thursday 8:45am – 2:30pm.
- 1 week after the last day of school – Registrar’s Office is open from 8:45 am to 2:30 pm.
- 3 weeks prior to the first day of school – Registrar Office is open from 8am-2pm.
**Please note that the kindergarten starting age is 5 by August 31.**
Below you will find links to the registration materials that you should download and complete prior to visiting your home school to register your child.
- Student Data Form
- Verification of Residency and Affidavit of Residency based on your living situation:
- Affidavit of Residency (Homeowners) (if the parents/guardians own a home in Braintree)
- Affidavit of Residency/Landlord Living Agreement (if the parents/guardians rent a property in Braintree and can provide a lease)
- Affidavit of Residency by Owner/Lessee (if the parents/guardians live in Braintree as tenants-at-will)
- Home Language Survey
(translated versions can be found at http://www.doe.mass.edu/ell/hlsurvey/)
- Transfer Student Record Request
- Nursing Services Handout
- Medical History Form
- MA School Health Record to be completed by your child’s physician
- Certificate of Immunization/Physician Report Form
Please pay close attention to the following list of required immunizations:
- 5 DTaP/DPT (4 doses for PK)
- 4 Polio (3 doses for PK)
- 2 MMR Vaccines (1 dose for PK)
- 3 Hepatitis Vaccines
- 2 Varicella Vaccines (1 dose for PK) or Documented Case of Chicken Pox by physician
- 1 Tdap for entry to grade 7 through 11
- Recent assessment of risk for TB - Low risk students are cleared for school entry.If the student is coming from outside of the US, consult with the school nurse.The MA Department of Public Health TB testing guidelines will be followed: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/cdc/tb/tb-pediatric-risk-assessment-form.pdf
- Kindergarten entry only (in addition to the above) – Lead screening test results and vision screening including stereopsis – within the past 12 months
- Pre-Kindergarten entry only (in addition to the above) – 1-4 Hib (number of doses determined by vaccine product and age the series begins)
As per State Law, your child must have all required immunizations, a physical examination, and documentation of a low risk TB assessment before he/she may enter school. Children entering kindergarten must also have lead screening test results and a vision screening with stereopsis.
9. A Massachusetts Transfer Card from the child’s previous school with the Child’s Mass ID number listed AND an original Birth Certificate is required. The administrative assistant will make a copy of it and return the original to you.
10. Emergency Medical Card is available from your school’s administrative assistant and must be completed when the above mentioned paperwork is returned.