The BPS has an exceptional history of student performance: by almost any measure, Braintree students achieve at very high levels. With a complete and total focus on providing high quality instruction that is personalized for every child, Braintree students are the direct beneficiaries of a school-community dedicated to providing outstanding teachers, extremely favorable class sizes (14:1), and academic support services that are second to none. All of our schools are designated Level I status by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), with the exception of Braintree High School (BHS), which is identified as a Level II school. BHS was recently named by Newsweek Magazine as one of the top 500 high schools in the country, reaching number 15 out of over 200 high schools in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The BPS is currently engaged in reimagining and reconstructing its five year strategic plan. In an effort to achieve even greater focus and become more effective in addressing the needs of our students and our changing school-community, we have identified four (4) strategic goal areas: (1) Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment; (2) Culture of Learning and Innovation; (3) Family and Community Engagement, and (4) Wellness. Through these goals we endeavor to prepare our students for a complex and changing world, think critically and creatively, analyze and evaluate information, solve complex problems, and collaborate and communicate effectively. Beyond those skill sets, we believe our children need to develop the necessary habits of body and mind to stay physically, socially and emotionally well throughout their lives.
Please feel free to contact me or any of our schools for additional information or assistance.
Frank Hackett, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Since excellence in instruction and student achievement is our primary objective, we are committed to the following beliefs:
- Students should acquire a rigorous core of knowledge in an environment that promotes higher level thinking skills across the curriculum by thinking critically and creatively, and making wise judgments.
- All students can achieve academic proficiency and strive for excellence.
- All students possess unique talents and gifts and should be encouraged to reach their maximum individual potential.
- Students should be able to collaborate and communicate effectively through reading, writing, speaking, computing, the arts, and technology.
- Students should acquire the knowledge, skills, and motivation necessary to achieve and maintain optimum health and lifelong fitness.
- Students should develop a sense of self-discipline, self-respect, and self-reliance and demonstrate social, civic and environmental responsibility.
- Students should acquire skills to adapt to an evolving and technologically advancing society.
- Students should understand, respect, and appreciate the racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity of our society and the democratic principles upon which this nation was built.
- A safe and orderly environment, free of prejudice, drugs, violence, bullying, hazing and harassment of any kind is essential to promote student learning.
- Ongoing opportunities for the professional growth and development of staff are essential for improving teaching and learning.
- Parents, guardians, and caregivers, in partnership with schools, are an integral part of their child’s learning.
- Community involvement should be actively solicited, encouraged and developed.
The Braintree Public Schools recognize their shared responsibility with parents in developing students’ values. This shared responsibility includes educating the whole child and working toward developing a good and informed citizenry.
In support of the above, the Braintree School Committee affirms the following values as integral part of the students’ overall education.